Gaia's Stepdaughters

Psych Profile: Conservationist




Mestizo


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



mes ti zo (me(s-te-'zo-) pronunciation
n., pl. -zos or -zoes.

A person of mixed racial ancestry, especially of mixed European and Native American ancestry.
From peak.sfu: "Brazilian anthropologist Roberto Damatta states that "In a mestizo society, the darker people are always stigmatized. The higher you get in Brazilian society, the whiter it is. Ever since the last Brazilian emperor married a blond Austrian woman, the aristocracy has always been very white and very blond."

According to South Asian feminist Amita Handa, many South Asian women grew up constantly being told to avoid sunlight for the fear of growing darker. Growing darker, of course, meant becoming less attractive. Those putting ads in the matrimonial section of the newspapers make mention to light skin in order to upgrade their chance of finding a suitable match. All of the actors in popular Indian movies and magazines are light skinned, interesting since most Indian women are darker than those in the movies. "
(Read the article "The colour bar of beauty"@ Peak.sfu.
I'm from south India, where most us are dark skinned. I'm particulary aware of the "Stigma" of being dark skinned. When I was young, I used to be the butt of so many jokes, mostly from an aunt, who was bloody dark skinned too. Pretty Ironic.


0 Responses to “Mestizo”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Lady Deidre
  • From London, United Kingdom
  • I'm a struggling journalist, with an interest in web design.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3